Pakistani packaging buyers are gradually maturing

VFFS machine manufacturer from Lahore at interpack 2017

95
Pakistani
Alpesh Patel, director, Knack Packaging and Shidhin Nair, manager – international business of Knack Packaging

A pioneer and a leader in the Pakistani vertical form, fill & seal machines segment, Prepac Engineering Industries has been manufacturing machines for packing of viscous and semi-viscous products in co-extruded multi-layered PE-based film of different specifications. At interpack, the company demonstrated its Press n Pour model, which can be used to pack items such as edible oil, clarified butter, milk, fresh cream and mango pulp, to name a few. The pack size varies, with a minimum of 120 mm x 150 mm and a maximum size of 225 mm x 350 mm. It works with co-extruded 3- or 5-layer PE-based or laminated 90 to 120
micron films. The machine has the capability to produce 650 to 1000 packs per hour depending on the pack size. The Press n Pour model provides two options where the pouches can have a spout or a bottle shape.

“All our manufacturing happens in Pakistan while we have a sales office in Canada. Exports are a huge chunk of our business and it has a share of close to 60% while the remaining 40% of the business comes from Pakistani market,” said Zain Salam, business development manager, Prepac Engineering. Prepac Engineering was the first collaboration between Pakistan and France and was founded in 1979. Its manufacturing plant is located in Lahore, the capital of Punjab. The company has an in-house research and development department.

Being a company in which exports are a significant revenue generator, Prepac Engineering is using the interpack platform to meet new as well as old customers from across the globe. Prepac Engineering has customers in Europe, USA and Africa among others. “We have met some potential customers at the exhibition and we expect to have a great interpack,” Salam said.

Pakistani market is maturing

Although the Pakistani packaging market is still dominated by traditional and conventional forms of packaging, some players have started offering exciting and new packaging solutions. Salam said that packaging buyers in Pakistan are maturing but the process is slow because there is a reluctance to switch from solutions that have become popular and well accepted. But this is gradually changing. “In the ’80s, Pakistani market saw popularity of pillow pouches; then gradually standing pouches became popular. I expect in another 4-5 years solutions like bottle-shaped packs will gain popularity in Pakistan,” he stated.

The impact, resilience, and growth of responsible packaging in a wide region are daily chronicled by Packaging South Asia.

A multi-channel B2B publication and digital platform such as Packaging South Asia is always aware of the prospect of new beginnings and renewal. Its 16-year-old print monthly, based in New Delhi, India has demonstrated its commitment to progress and growth. The Indian and Asian packaging industries have shown resilience in the face of ongoing challenges over the past three years.

As we present our publishing plan for 2023, India’s real GDP growth for the financial year ending 31 March 2023 will reach 6.3%. Packaging industry growth has exceeded GDP growth even when allowing for inflation in the past three years.

The capacity for flexible film manufacturing in India increased by 33% over the past three years. With orders in place, we expect another 33% capacity addition from 2023 to 2025. Capacities in monocartons, corrugation, aseptic liquid packaging, and labels have grown similarly. The numbers are positive for most of the economies in the region – our platform increasingly reaches and influences these.

Even given the disruptions of supply chains, raw material prices, and the challenge of responsible and sustainable packaging, packaging in all its creative forms and purposes has significant headroom to grow in India and Asia. Our context and coverage engulf the entire packaging supply chain – from concept to shelf and further – to waste collection and recycling. We target brand owners, product managers, raw material suppliers, packaging designers and converters, and recyclers.

In an admittedly fragmented and textured terrain, this is the right time to plan your participation and marketing support communication – in our impactful and highly targeted business platform. Tell us what you need. Speak and write to our editorial and advertising teams! For advertisement ads1@ippgroup.in , for editorial info@ippgroup.in and for subscriptions subscription@ippgroup.in

– Naresh Khanna

Subscribe Now
close
unnamed 1

NEWSLETTER

Subscribe to our Newsletter